What is Child Abuse?
Is a situation whether through action or omission causes injury, death, emotional harm or risk of severe harm to a child usually by a parent, caregiver, or anyone who is taking care of the child. There are several types of child abuse or child maltreatment, including neglect, physical abuse, sexual abuse, harassment, exploitation and emotional abuse.
Child Abuse Laws in California
California Penal Code Section 273d PC is a law in California that dictates the statutes against child abuse crime in the state. This section states that any act that impose physical injury, harassment or cruel punishment, torture, or sexual harassment to a child is considered a crime.
Child Abuse crime in California includes:
- Slapping or hitting a child by someone hard enough to leave a mark on his face or body.
- Physical punishment of a kid for misbehaving.
- Hitting or punish a child with a belt or any object harder than it should in order to maintain discipline
- Sexual harassment or sexual abuse to the child
- Causing injury
Penalties for Child Abuse in California
The California Penal Code Section 273d PC states the following
- Misdemeanor Penalty is imprisonment of 1 year in county jail or fine up to $6000
- Felony Penalty is imprisonment of 2, 4 or 6 years in jail or fine up to $600
- False accusation
- Injury as a result of an accident
- Disciplinary punishment Legal right on the child
- Lack of evidence
The Law Office of Raoul Severo California
Being charged with child abuse crime in California is a big deal and carries severe sentences to those who are found gulty of it. The legal system does not take any soft considerations for child abuse offenders and will enforce the law to its fullest. If you are convicted of child abuse crime in California due to your actions or omission you may face a long time in jail. Therefore, getting in touch with an experienced criminal defense attorney is the best course of action. With more than 40 years of experience, the Law Office of Raoul Severo is at your disposal for a free of charge assessment of your case.
Last but not least, by reading this article you are entitled to use one of our coupon codes for criminal defense attorney that will grant you a discount and a free assessment of your case. Just send us a message including the code: CriminalOffense_5-20
Send us a message! We'll get back to you ASAP