A drug court is a special type of court that offers special programs for individuals with significant substance use and mental health disorders. They are considered a great innovative and effective solution to handling these kinds of issues within the criminal court system. The main objective of the program is to offer the participant the chance to enter long-term drug treatment and agree to court supervision preferably than getting a jail sentence.
Drug courts in California offer this kind long-term drug treatment aimed to reduce crime and affect positively people's lives. Basically are rigorous programs that demand anyone who joins them to maintain recovery, take on responsibilities, and work towards lifestyle changes. The supervision and authority of the court are presented during the whole program
In short, drug courts put treatment and rehabilitation ahead of punishment aiming to achieving the following goals:
- Reduce and fight against recidivism, substance abuse and aid people with mental health disorders
- increase the offender's probability to reach a positive and successful rehabilitation by addressing rigorously either substance abuse or mental health problems
Key Components of Drug Courts in California
- Drug courts provide an alternative treatment services for alcohol and drug abuse, aligned with the justice system of California
- By Using a non-adversarial approach, prosecution and defense counseling a drug court promotes public safety while addressing these kinds of cases. Participants of this program should waive their due process of law rights for a speedy trial and sign a pre-emptive confession before being allowed to participate in such program
- Maintaining a timetable and follow up tasks for each case
- A coordinated strategy and proper program structure designed to achieve and monitoring compliance and goals of each case
- Knowledge base educational activities among each case that takes place in a drug court in the state of California.
Need guidance for a drug court case in California?
Before taking any decision, have in mind that these kinds of drug court programs in the state of California are very complex and full of long processes. Therefore following the guidance of an experienced attorney is the best course of action to go through the whole program. With more than 40 years of experience, The Law Office of Raoul Severo in California is glad to assist you, so please don't hesitate to reach out for a free of charge evaluation of your case.
Last but not least, by reading this article you are entitled to use one of our coupon codes for criminal defense lawyer that will grant you a discount and a free assessment of your case. Just send us a message including the code: CriminalOffense_5-20
Send us a message! We'll get back to you ASAP