Most California citizens can legally own or possess weapons. However there are several laws and restrictions regarding this matter that have to be followed in order to maintain yourself within the legal loop and not commit any illegal act.
Gun laws in California are numerous and complex. If ones dont know all of them, or worse, don't know how to behave in order to be in compliance with all the regulations and restrictions that the law impose regarding guns possessions and usage, is easy for a person to break them, get wrongfully accused, and dragged into court to answer for any gun-law violations committed.
With all this being said, it is essential and crucial to know all the firearm laws and legal guidelines for gun possession, otherwise you will find yourself facing criminal or even felony charges.
What happens if I get caught with a Gun?
Generally, carrying a loaded firearm in a public place is a misdemeanor. However, depending on certain factors, you can also be charged with a felony, along with punishments and penalties pressed against you according to the state's laws.
Firearms Offenses in California
There are several type of weapons or firearm related charges in California, including:
- Carrying a concealed weapon (25400 PC)
- Improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle (26100 PC)
- Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (245(a)(2) PC)
- Possession of a weapon by a convicted felon (29800 PC)
- Firing or shooting an object inside an occupied building (246 PC)
- Illegal sale of a firearm (26500PC)
- Possession of an assault weapon (30600 PC)
Also the following conditions come under firearms offenses,
- Carrying a loaded firearm in public
- Using a gun on school grounds or on government property
- Owning certain classes of assault weapons or rifles
- Use of gun silencers or armor-piercing ammunition
- Brandishing a firearm, assault with a firearm
- Drive-by shooting
Defenses which you can use while facing charges for Firearms offenses,
- Non Ownership of weapon
- Self-defense and some else defense
- Illegal search and seizure
- Accidentally or by mistake firing by a weapon
- Police entrapment
- Prosecutorial misconduct
Why hire a Criminal Defense Attorney?
Either facing a misdemeanor or a felony charge for a weapons or firearms offense, represents long and complex legal processes that can results is serious punishments if you don't pay attention to even the smallest detailed; therefore, hiring an experienced criminal defense lawyer is the first thing you have to do in order the get the best deal possible that the law has to offer.
With more than 40 years of experience, The Law office or Raoul Severo has the capability to provide advice and guidance tailored to your needs when it comes to fight against charges for a weapons or firearms offense. Last but not least, by reading this article you are entitled to use one of our criminal lawyer coupon codes that will grant you a discount and a free assessment of your case. Just send us a message including the code: FirearmsOffense_5-20
Send us a message! We'll get back to you ASAP