Laws Regarding Homemade Guns – 18 U.S Code 922 and 923
The use of firearms is heavily regulated by federal law. It is considered legitimate to own a homemade gun. You will be surprised to know that even a firearm that is twenty percent made at home does not have to be registered. Nowadays, modern and sophisticated ways of making guns like 3D printing have found its way into the firearms market. The individuals in the business of dealing in firearms should have their firearms licensed by the government. Let's take a look at these laws in depth.
Unlawful Acts Involving A Firearm – 18 U.S Code 922
This law clearly states that there are exceptions to the purchase and sale of firearms. It prohibits certain individuals from possessing or being involved in the business of firearms and ammunition unless they abide by the rules and follow due process. They apply to the following individuals:
- Any individual except a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer to engage in the respective business while dealing with firearms. This can also be applicable while transporting, shipping, or receiving the firearm. It is also applicable to ammunition.
- An importer, dealer, collector, or manufacturer who is licensed to transport a firearm to a person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector.
- An individual who is not a licensed dealer, manufacturer, collector, or importer who transports a destructive device, a machine gun, short-barrelled rifle, short-barrelled shotgun, except when authorized by the Attorney General.
- It is also considered unlawful for a licensed individual to sell a firearm to someone who is less than eighteen years of age. In the case of a shotgun, rifle, or ammunition for the same, the licensee is aware of the individual to be less than twenty-one years old or has reasonable cause to believe so in both situations.
- If an individual sells or disposes a firearm or ammunition to another person who has been convicted or is under indictment for a crime that is punishable by more than a year. This also applies to fugitives, users of addictive substances, or is illegally in the United States.
- It is unlawful if an individual has been released from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
- Any citizen of the United States who has currently renounced his citizenship.
- An individual who has been convicted of misdemeanor crimes related to domestic violence.
Licensing Of Guns - 18 U.S Code 923
It has been stated here that any individual is allowed to import or manufacture ammunition only after he/she has filed an application and has been given a license to deal with the firearms from the Attorney General. The photograph and fingerprints of the applicant will be taken. Any person who applies for the same has to pay a fee to receive the license. Some basic requirements are that the applicant needs to be twenty-one years of age or over and has not violated any provisions or failed to disclose any information or given false information.
There is a separate fee that will be charged for the following:
- If the applicant is a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of any destructive devices or their ammunition and armor-piercing ammunition, then the fee is $1000 every year. If he/she is a manufacturer or importer of firearms that are not destructive, the fees are $50 a year. If the individual is manufacturing ammunition for firearms, but the ammunition is not meant for destructive devices, then the fee is simply $10 per year.
- For an applicant who is not a dealer for destructive devices, there is a fee of $200 for 3 years and the fee for renewal of a license that will be valid is $90 for 3 years.
The fees to apply to be a gun collector with the Attorney General is $10.
How a Criminal Defense Attorney Helps
A criminal defence attorney is well aware of all the home-made gun laws and provisions. In the Law Office of Raoul Severo effective tactics are used to ensure that unlawful acts are prevented and the laws are followed. For a first and free consultation of your case you can avail of a coupon code for a criminal lawyer in California by mentioning the code - CriminalDefense_07-20. Get in touch with a criminal attorney can help you out with the legalities in greater detail.
Send us a message! We'll get back to you ASAP