Are you charged with a theft crime? Before answering that question let's define what is considered a theft crime. They are acts that involve the unauthorized taking of the property of another person with the goal to deprive them of it permanently. Usually, theft includes several different categories of crime:
- Larceny (Petty Larceny and Grand Larceny)
- False pretenses
- Grand theft auto
- Grand theft firearm
- Receiving stolen property
Depending on the case charges can vary from misdemeanors to felonies in the worst cases, including punishments such heavy fines and potentially long term prison time.
California laws also defines numerous other specific offenses related to theft, such as:
- Failing to return rented or leased goods
- Unlawfully transferring a debit or credit score card
- Using data from any other person's debit or credit card or financial institution account that allows you to obtain goods or services
- Failing to return library books or materials
- Misappropriating properties that has been entrusted to the defendant
Defenses you may take against charges for a theft crime
- Lack of evidence
- Claim of Ownership and right of possession
- Consent of owner
- No intent or motive to steal
- False theft Allegation
Why hire a Criminal Defense Attorney?
Either facing a misdemeanor or a felony charge for any kind of theft crime, represents a long and complex legal processes that can results is serious punishments if you don't pay attention to even the smallest detailed; therefore, hiring an experienced criminal defense lawyer is the first thing you have to do in order the get the best deal possible that the law has to offer.
With more than 40 years of experience, The Law office or Raoul Severo has the capability to provide advice and guidance tailored to your needs when it comes to fight against charges for a theft offense. Last but not least, by reading this article you are entitled to use one of our California lawyer discount codes that will grant you a discount and a free assessment of your case. Just send us a message including the code: TheftOffense_5-20
Send us a message! We'll get back to you ASAP