A True Defense For Those Accused Of Sex Crimes
Few crimes carry the harsh punishment and social stigma of sex offenses. Prosecutors are not inclined to negotiate. Judges are not inclined to be lenient. In addition to prison time and a felony record, a conviction requires registering as a sex offender for 10 years or the rest of one’s life.
For these reasons, you need a “bulldog” like Raoul Severo in your corner if you have been arrested or investigated for sex crimes. You need a lawyer who will fiercely protect your rights and fight for your freedom. The Law Offices of Severo, PLC will defend you no matter how grave the charges.
We Handle The Full Spectrum Of Sex Offenses
A sex crime is defined under California Penal Code as forced or coerced sexual conduct against another person. Our criminal defense attorneys have extensive experience with both state and federal sex offenses, including:
- Rape – Involving penetration by force or without the person’s consent (such as a person who is unconscious, intoxicated or mentally disabled) California Penal Code §261
- Sexual battery (“sexual assault”) – Touching of another person’s intimate parts for sexual purposes, including kissing or groping a person against their will California Penal Code §243.4
- Statutory rape – Sexual contact by an adult with a person who is under the age of consent (age 18 in California) California Penal Code §261.5
- Aggravated sexual assault of a child – Any sexual conduct against a child who is under the age of 14 by someone who is at least 7 years older California Penal Code §269
- Child sex abuse/sexual acts with a child under 10 – Any sexual contact with a child under the age of 10 California Penal Code §288.5/§288.7
- Lewd conduct – Touching one’s own or another person’s private parts for sexual gratification in a public place California Penal Code §647a
- Indecent exposure – Lewdly exposing one’s private parts in a public place California Penal Code §314
- Internet sex offenses – Soliciting minors for sex, possessing or distributing child pornography
- Prostitution offenses – Soliciting a prostitute or offering sex for hire California Penal Code §647b
- Failing to register as a sex offender – Failing to notify state and local authorities of a new job or change of address after conviction for a sex crime
Defenses Against A Sex Crime Charge In California
Raoul Severo has more than 40 years of experience and leads a team of veteran trial lawyers who can knowledgeably apply the statutory defenses under each category. Possible defenses and mitigating factors include:
- Consensual sex
- The victim’s professed age
- Proximity in age (for example, age 21 with age 17 vs. age 33 with age 15)
- Plea of nonpresence (I was not there)
- Circumstantial evidence
- False accusation
- Changing stories or contradicting witnesses
- Mistaken identity
- No prior criminal record
We explore every angle to cast doubt on the allegations to get evidence excluded, to negotiate a favorable plea, or to fight for your freedom at trial. Our team makes every effort to spare you from a conviction and sex offender registry if possible or to minimize the consequences.
Call Right Away To Protect Your Rights
Your situation may seem hopeless, but you do have rights and defenses. If you are accused or if a family member has been arrested for a sex crime, call immediately at 888-983-1217 or email our law firm to arrange a free consultation. We have offices throughout California.