Theft Charges Have Serious Consequences
A conviction for theft, even a misdemeanor offense, can have long-term implications for employment, career paths, professional licenses, immigration status and other aspects of life.
If you are charged with a theft crime, experienced legal representation can make a real difference in the outcome of your case and your future prospects. The Law Offices of Severo, PLC brings 40-plus years of experience to your defense. We handle misdemeanor and felony cases in state and federal courts of California.
Theft Offenses In California
Let’s define what is considered a theft crime. Under California Penal Code, theft is any act that involves the unauthorized taking of the property of another person or entity with the goal to deprive them of it permanently. Theft encompasses a wide range of crimes, including:
- Larceny (petty larceny and grand larceny)
- Shoplifting and retail theft
- Theft by fraud or false pretenses
- Writing bad checks
- Unauthorized use of debit or credit cards
- Embezzlement and employee theft
- Grand theft auto
- Grand theft firearm
- Receiving stolen property
The charges can vary from misdemeanors to serious felonies, usually based on the dollar amount involved. Punishment can include fines, restitution, probation, jail and even prison terms for major theft offenses.
California laws also define numerous other specific offenses related to theft, such as:
- Failing to return rented or leased goods
- Failing to return library books or materials
- Misappropriating properties that have been entrusted to the defendant
- Leaving without paying for restaurant meals or gas
Defenses For Theft Crime Charges
- Lack of evidence
- Claim of ownership and right of possession
- Consent of the owner
- No intent or motive to steal
- False theft allegation
Our Criminal Defense Attorneys Can Help
Facing either a misdemeanor or a felony charge for any kind of theft crime represents a long and complex legal process that can result in serious punishments if you don’t pay attention to even the smallest details. Therefore, hiring an experienced criminal defense lawyer is the first thing you have to do in order to get the best deal possible that the law has to offer.
With more than 40 years of experience, the Law Offices of Severo, PLC has the capability to provide advice and guidance tailored to your needs when it comes to fighting against charges for a theft offense.